Friday, August 6, 2010

Looking ahead to NOLA

In April of this year I visited New Orleans for the first time. On a walk one evening near the fabulous Jacque Imo's, I saw a young girl riding her bike down the sidewalk and I noticed that she was wearing a KIPP t-shirt. I asked her as she rolled by if she liked her school. She stopped her bike long enough to say that it was fun and that they did, indeed, make her work very hard. She gave us a wave and rode off, presumably home, and in a short time, she will be starting a new year of school at KIPP. Little did I know that some few weeks after this chance meeting, I would be given the chance to travel to NOLA and do more than just encourage one student to keep working hard at school. I am so excited to revisit a most unique city and do what I can to help out at these schools that are gracious enough to host us.

AND I absolutely want to visit the Backyard Museum. Anyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment