Monday, August 16, 2010

3 times, 3 different experiences

So, we went and returned. Can't say that I'm glad to be back (except that today, Monday, in Chicago the weather is blissful). I miss my new friends. I enjoyed the pleasant way our 17 volunteers interacted. It's not too often you can get three (maybe even 2) strangers to live and work together let alone 17! I love every one of you. Thanks for making our trip so easy. :)

As for John Dibert School, I know they are happy we were there. When we arrived on Monday morning, the list of our assignments was rather small. They didn't know who we are. We set about our tasks with good effort and good will. We were finished quickly, looking for more to do. We cleaned a little room and made it nice enough for teachers to use as a work room. We helped ready the library, pre-k facility, and all the classes to receive the students. By the end of the week, we were working with teachers putting packets together, leveling books, sorting teaching materials, putting lettering and reading aids on walls. Three of us were given the task of assigning pick-up stops on bus routes.

Along the way, we talked with new teachers and shared techniques and stories. I learned all the new programs have one thing in common, boost the students self esteem, you improve their focus and goals. It's not new, but nice to see that they are using it in the new schools.

Our tour of the lower 9th Ward with Tony as our guide revealed the progress Brad Pitt's project is making. Tony couldn't get over the fact that "white people" would be the ones to step up to help. Anyway, the project is amazing and I hope that it is competed soon so he can add more to it.

For me, going to New Orleans and helping get ready for the new school year, is a good way to give back for all the good fortune I have encountered in my life. I am always warmed by the good people I meet and reassured that there is more good in the world than the newspapers would have us believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment