Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Trip #3... and More to Come

Every year around this time, I am worried about where I will be teaching and what my end of year will be like.  August is always full of uncertainty, but one thing is always certain.  I will be back with my NOLA Family at some point in August, and I look forward to this trip every year.

This year was a bit different for me, because I was on the administrative/planning side.  There were a few hiccups, but everything seemed to go as close to plan as possible.  Everyone went to New Orleans with a vision and purpose, and we all returned with sad hearts that the week had to end so soon.  Every minute we spend in one of our New Orleans schools humbles us and makes us wish we could do more.

For trip 2, Harriet Tubman Elementary called us back this year, and we were a bit nervous about being put back on the task of organizing the library.  I personally envisioned two rooms filled with books that were just kept there and never moved since last summer.  This was thankfully not the case, yet there was lots of work to be done.  Once we were able to see the actual teacher resource library, we knew what needed to be accomplished   There were plenty of books on the shelves and thousands that still needed to be leveled, labeled, and shelved.  We delegated tasks and were able to provide a functioning teacher resource library for Harriet Tubman and felt a great sense of accomplishment.

We made friends, had laughs, ate beignets, and formed an attachment to the work we do in New Orleans.  I am certainly look forward to the next trip which can't come soon enough, but has lots of work and planning to get us there.

Let the good times roll!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment