Thursday, August 2, 2012


August 2, 2012
I have been in New Orleans since Sunday and it has been an amazing experience from many aspects. First, this is one of the most diverse groups I have worked with. The experience has been very enriching for me. I have learned so much from each and every person. We have laughed and sweated and worked hard. We have also watched the Olympics together.

Second being in New Orleans has been very interesting and new to me. Yes, it has been hot. I am
almost used to the heat. It is raining right now for the first time. I will see what that does to the temperature. I have found people to be very warm and friendly. People on the bus have given us recommendations about places to go. The bus driver always makes sure he is close to the curb so it is easy to get on and off. I was shocked when someone got up to give me a seat--not because it wasn't extremely polite--but I didn't think I looked old enough to get the attention. Oh well! Then there was the lady with her grandchildren who told me not to take the seat because it was always harder to get up once you sit down! The bar tender at Ryan's told us about his different careers. I was extremely  happy to hear that he loved math! and used it everyday.  The man at the mask store made sure I had seen the full collection of masks and then helped me rule out the one that wasn't quite as attractive as one of the others. Our waiter, Judah, was great tonight at the oldest bar in New Orleans. You may wonder what made him so great. It was his love of my giant framed glasses. He made such a fuss over them that it was almost as good as making a fuss over me! Walking around the area with the dance bars and venues for music--including the sidewalks was very exciting. Ending up at the Snug Harbor Jazz bistro with
Delfeayo Marsalis was a real treat. We were all pleasantly surprised when 16 mean cameup on stage with their instruments. There was such joy on their faces as they marched in. It was fun to see the good time they had with each other --and the marvelous tones that filled the room.

I took a long time getting here--but I am at the reason we came to New Orleans in the first place--to work at Arthur Ashe School. Each day we have taken a bus and a streetcar to get to the school. It has been a long time since I did that. We then walk the block or so to get to the school. It is such a lovely place. It is a new school and very impressive. We have met many of the teachers and they are a dedicated group. I loved talking to Chris, one of the math teachers. I think I would enjoy seeing him teach. He sounds like he really knows what he is doing and yet is always anxious to get new ideas....the perfect life-long learner.  It excited me to hear that their new plans involved adding more depth to the basic math understandings. For example, he said they were going to spend a lot of time developing number sense. My assignments were varied. I sharpened 1000 pencils, organized a closet of resources, and found levels for library books.It felt good to be part of a group that was trying to help teachers by doing whatever they needed help with.

I am so glad I made the decision to go on this trip.
I'll write more another time.

Eunicw

No comments:

Post a Comment