Thursday, August 9, 2012

Summer in NOLA

I had a wonderful time volunteering along with my wonderful daughter Adrienne, my Mother and my niece Morgan and working with a great group of teachers from Chicago.  I don't live near my Mom or my niece and Adrienne lives in Chicago which brought us together as the girls family trip out in "Nau Leans", LA.  We left the cranky men home. This trip encouraged me to give more of me to others and have fun doing so.  We all "paid it forward".  I'm still looking back on that week with "Partnerships in Education" with a smile, a short giggle and appreciated insight of the joyful people of New Orleans.  This is a trip I will never forget.  Arthur Ashe is a beautiful school nestled in a reviving quaint neighborhood.  It was wonderful to see the joy and appreciation in the eyes of the administrators, teachers, parents and students. The excitement in the halls and classrooms vibrated through everyone in the building. We learned from them that good things can come your way after a devastating event that changed the lives of the people NOLA.  With patience the students, parents and teachers waited a long time to be housed in such a beautiful building.  My first day (Monday) at Arthur Ashe we organized the IT room, set up computers in several classrooms and then moved on to a few odd jobs.  Day 2 (Tuesday) Christine and I organized the school concession stand. WOW the paraphernalia is really "Sweet"!  My afternoon tasked was my least favorite and that was "leveling" books.  YUK!! Hated it.  There has to be a better wwaaaayyyyy. Grrrr!  It's hard for me to believe that administrators place so much on the teachers by making them level the reading books.  Well I guess it must be done.  That task that can take weeks.  Wednesday, I organized the office supply closet with my Mom and Adrienne.  We worked wonderfully together.  Now, I was very surprised and happy with the flow we created with each other to accomplish that task without any "yappity yak" from any of us three. That closet was whipped into shape in no time. Great job Mom and Adrienne.  Hugs to ya.  Thursday I spent with my my Mom in a Kindergarten classroom.  The teachers of that classroom were the neatest and well organized pair.  Loved it.  They left great instructions and clear directions to decorate their 5 bulletin boards.  Now I enjoyed dressing the bulletin boards with my Mom.  We worked exceptionally well together which doesn't come to a surprise.  She taught me well and I listened. Every evening we ventured out to the French Quarter to window shop and to dinner.  We enjoyed the company of fellow volunteers.  I love delivering "Olympic Breaking News" (when permitted) on the bus and streetcar ride back to the French Quarter. GREAT TRIP!!! See ya next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment