Wednesday, August 22, 2012



Harriet Tubman Elementary School
 

Wow!!  What an experience!!  This was my first service trip ever and also, my first trip to New Orleans.  This trip started out a little rocky for me.  At the last minute, my friend that was supposed to be joining us was unable to attend.  I looked at the weather for the week and saw that it was supposed to rain the entire time I was there!  My spirits were a little low when the trip began and I was very nervous about going and not really knowing anyone.  The first person I met face to face was, the one and only, Eunice!  She immediately relaxed me a little.  She had a smile on her face and was so genuinely excited for what was in store for us.  It was hard for her spirit to not rub off on me!


Lindsay and Amanda


 The first few days I continued to be nervous about not really knowing anyone (I know Erica, but it had been years since we'd seen each other).  That feeling very quickly faded!!  What made it easier for me open up a little and get along with people was the fact that I couldn't help but be smacked in the face with the reality that we were all there for the same purpose.  To help the people of New Orleans.  To help the schools that the veterans of these trips have become so passionate about.  That is what I will remember most about this trip and what, ultimately, helped me to feel so connected to everyone.  The passion for the work that we were doing.  As I listened to people that have been on more than one trip talk about their experiences and what things were like last year, I was moved.  You can hear in their voices, the things that they speak about and the WAY they say them that these trips are more than just trips to them.  It is a chance to connect with people that have absolutely nothing to do with your daily life, a chance to improve a city that was once in shambles, and an opportunity to really give some meaning to your life and your choices. 


With our stations set up, we were getting a lot accomplished!
As the week progressed I took notice of the work ethic of this group.  It was, in a word, insane!  What most people would take as a vacation, time away from their regular job, their kids or crazy spouses, the members of our team took as an opportunity to make a difference.  People were always moving, always asking what else needed to be done after finishing a task, staying late and coming in early.  We wanted to get things done!  We wanted to leave knowing that Harriet Tubman School would have a great library that the teachers and children could take advantage of.
 It was kind of strange how quickly everyone settled into the routine of eating a continental breakfast, following Michael's directions to the school, putting on music and getting to work, having a quick lunch before returning to work and taking the bus back to the hotel.  By the end of the week I'd almost forgotten about my normal life. I was sad that I wouldn't be returning to the school, sad that I would have to part from the new friends I had made and sad that I was leaving a city that I was beginning to fall in love with.  This trip will most definately not be my last.  I truly admire the team that I worked with and each one of them for different reasons.  I will tell stories about this trip for years to come with the hopes of inspiring people to make a difference, do more and find something they are passionate about.  Until next year..... 

 Our first day, this is what we walked into!!!  Thousands of books just piled up in the library and there was another huge pile in a back room!!
 
 
 
 At the end of the second day, this is what we had accomplished!! It may not look like much, but all the books in these boxes have been given a reading level, stickered and organized!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Team members working hard!!

 
























By the end of our last full day at the school we had organized, labeled and boxed or shelved thousands of books!!



 
 
The Partnerships In Education Week 2 Team        

No comments:

Post a Comment