Saturday, July 10, 2010

A day full of inspiration..

This morning, after very few hours of sleep, I walked into the NLU Skokie campus to a very cheerful and absolutely wonderful Karen Roth. She was full of life and very excited to have everyone there to serve NOLA. In hearing peoples reason to participate in this service learning adventure, I continuously was inspired by other people's excitement about what we are here to do. I left orientation entirely elated about the possibilities of what we can and will accomplish.

In the afternoon, I had the extraordinary pleasure of having lunch with my mother, uncle, and the family of a man who said he was inspired by my mother. He found her, and contacted her to thank her for being the sunshine that helped him through a very rough time in his life. I couldn't help but feel honored to witness the stories of hardtimes this man went through in his life, and I will never forget the smile on my mother's face to know that she was able to help at least one.

I ended the day by watching two great teaching movies about influential teachers in California: Stand and Deliver and Freedom Writers. The teachers in these movies were there to motivate, nurture, and guide those students to success. It was after these movies concluded that I was able to reflect on what my day presented me. It was a day full of inspiration. I am inspired to help the students in NOLA. I am inspired to make a difference in at least one person's life. I am inspired to be the best teacher I can be. I believe in the trickle effect and karma. Good things are coming from all of this. I feel it in my bones.

Good luck to all the July group! Have a fantastic time and be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment