Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Volunteering in High School

In August of 2012, I had the pleasure of volunteering at the Arthur Ashe Charter School in New Orleans with PIES. It was my first time volunteering with the organization and my first time in New Orleans. Essentially, it was one of the best experiences of life. I recommend that anyone who has the chance to volunteer should take the opportunity, no matter the age. At sixteen years old, I was the youngest person on trip, but that did not prevent me from having a great time. I still remember some of the best parts of the trip, even four years later. The work PIES and I did for Arthur Ashe Public Charter will stick with me for the rest of my life.  

I gained many valuable experiences and learned many lessons while on the trip. As a young high school student, I rarely traveled nor had I been exposed to other communities not like mine. I think one of the most important lessons I learned while volunteering was to take to the time to learn about and understand the community you are serving. I learned that New Orleans is much more than the French Quarter and Mardi Gras. We took the bus and walked to our service site every morning. I saw up close what the real New Orleans is like. The vulnerability of the neighborhoods that I witnessed allowed me to see my privilege. It was gratifying to help out the teachers set up for that upcoming school year, but it was also humbling to have learned so much about myself and the Arthur Ashe community. This trip has been the source of my motivation to continue serving. As a current college senior, I have gone on to serve communities locally and internationally. I always take my experiences with PIES and Arthur Ashe Charter School with me wherever I go. 

Another amazing experience I gained while volunteering with PIES was meeting all the great people that I worked with. The other volunteers was such a diverse group in age and interests. It was a pleasure getting to know them all over the course of a week. I do wish that I had made more of an effort to keep in contact with the people I volunteered with. I recommend that any young person who is volunteering with PIES remember that importance of lasting relationships. I’ve learned that volunteering is not only about serving the community but learning how to work with others and taking yourself out of your comfort zone. Establishing great relationships and socializing will allow you to do just that.

I would love to go back to New Orleans with PIES. Knowing all that I know now about service, volunteering will mean so much more to me. I encourage anyone, no matter how young, to volunteer with PIES. It will be unforgettable and you will learn so much. I would suggest to make the most out of every experience and really embrace them. Whatever you experience in New Orleans and with PIES is truly invaluable.


No comments:

Post a Comment